The EC says it will not be humbled by calls for an extension of time to enable all prospective voters who could not register in the just ended limited
The EC says it will not be humbled by calls for an extension of time to enable all prospective voters who could not register in the just ended limited voters’ registration exercise be captured.
To the EC, it has all the records of all persons in queues as of the closure of the exercise Sunday July 7, and those are the ones who have been given a special provision to register between today Monday July 8 and July 9, 2019.
Given the many reported technical challenges encountered during the early days of the limited registration exercise, and limited registration centres the Electoral Commission (EC) created for the exercise, many, including the National Democratic Congress (NDC) and some executives of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), have called for an
extension of time.
Dr Eric Bossman Asare, Deputy Commission in charge of Corporate Services, sharply says the call for the general extension being advocated for would not be granted.
“It is not going to happen. What the Commission has done is to do with the fact that some people were in the queue yesterday as at 6pm, and all those people are going to be captured today, or at most tomorrow.
“We noticed that as at the time we were closing yesterday, all those in the queues had been captured and we’ve identified the numbers.
“I know Ayawaso West Wuogon, for example, about 400 people identified in the queue will be attended to today and tomorrow,” Dr Bossman told Citi News mid-day.
Nationwide, the former University of Ghana Political Science lecturer said the EC has all the numbers, thus, his outfit would not do any general extension.
He said the processes to get all those who were captured yesterday he begun earnestly and expressed the hope that by the close of Tuesday July 9, the general exercise shall have ended.
Story by Umar Sheriff / awakenewsonline.com