We are Therefore Urging Calm Among Our Krobo Citizenry•We are Urging all youth. Who Are Currently on the Streets of Krobo to Return Home Immediately
The leadership of Kloma Hengme and the Krobo Advocacy & Heritage Association of Yilo and Manya Krobo in the Eastern Region are calling on their youth to immediately call off the ongoing demonstration over the 3day power cut in the area assuring that the Energy Mister, John Peter Amewu has pledged to resolve the situation immediately.
According to a press statement from the two organizations, “Following our Press Statement on the power situation a while ago, the Minister of Energy; JOHN PETER AMEWU, through his spokesperson at the Ministry, Nana Kofi Oppong Damoah, has arranged an emergency meeting with the Leadership of Kloma Hengme at the Energy Ministry, tomorrow, Thursday.”
“The Spokesperson said the Minister has read our press statement, and he also had heard of the melee currently ongoing on the streets, want to do everything in his authority for the restoration of Electricity in the Krobo region, hence the need for the meeting to know more about the situation”
The statement noted that “As we speak, late in the night at this time, the Minister has also sent his Spokesperson and other experts of the Ministry of Energy to Krobo to access a first-hand situation of the problem ahead of the crucial meeting tomorrow, Thursday”
“In relation with the above, therefore, the Management of Kloma Hengme; the Krobo Advocacy & Heritage Association, is once again, urging calm among the entire Krobo citizenry as we work to resolve the power issue. We are imploring our youth, sons and daughters of Krobo, to go home and vacate the streets immediately, and abandon all forms of ongoing demonstrations”
Earlier this night, several scores of irate residents of Odumase-Krobo, Lower Manya Constituency, have mounted road blocks on highways over three days of continuous power outage.
The residents, according to reports by Rite FM, a local radio station at Somanya, additionally, have set bonfires in the middle of the highway linking Accra and Kpong, via Odumase-Krobo.
Odumase-Krobo township has been sleeping in total darkness for three days now and this harsh situation has provoked the unlawful action by some of the irate residents, Rite FM said.
A member of the protesters explained that they publicly announced this afternoon that should the authorities fail to restore power by dusk today, they would pour on the streets to protest.
“May be, they (authorities) thought we were just being noisy, and so, this is just the beginning of what we will be doing until our power is restored,” the interviewee chanted.
Two people allegedly shot:
Awake News has learnt that two protesters at the demonstration has been hit by bullets at the Somanya roundabout.
According to reports, one of the victims suffered serious leg fracture whiles the other person had been hit on the chest by multiple bullets who the Atua Government Hospital had referred to the Eastern Regional Hospital for emergency attention.
By: Efo Korsi Senyo / awakenewsonline.com