Social media campaign under the hashtag #ReleaseGregoryAfoko over the continuous detention of Mr. Gregory Afoko, the detained younger brother of the o
Social media campaign under the hashtag #ReleaseGregoryAfoko over the continuous detention of Mr. Gregory Afoko, the detained younger brother of the ousted former National Chairman of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP), Paul Afoko has gathered momentum.
The Social Media Campaigners in a series of posts and infographics under the hashtag are highlighting the events leading to the arrest, the detention, trail and the High Court’s decision to grant him bail.
They are therefore worried over the development in a country that is highly touted as one that upholds rule of law with high democratic credentials and especially under a President that is said to be a human rights lawyer.
These are some of the highlights:
UNDER THE WATCH AND LEADERSHIP OF AN ALLEGED HUMAN RIGHTS LAWYER WHO DOUBLES AS PRESIDENT, H.E. Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo [ @NAkufoAddo ]
1. 14 March 2019 the High Court grants Afoko Gregory bail
2. Attorney-General appeals against the decision and files for a stay of execution of the Court order.3. The application for stay of execution is dismissed by both the High Court and Court of Appeal.
4. Afoko Gregory satisfies all the bail conditions set by the Court.
5. Registrar of the High Court certifies to the Court that all bail conditions have been satisfied but still…
6. 21st June 2019 ( exactly 3 months 4 days after the bail was granted) Gregory Afoko is still in detention because the police and by extension the state/government has refused to comply with the order of the Court.
7. Gregory Afoko applies to the High Court to commit IGP and CID boss for contempt.
NB: The IGP and the CID boss refused to appear before the court on all the 3 court sittings. Impunity right?
OK let’s continue.
8. Gregory Afoko still remains in detention.
9. After satisfying all bail conditions set by the Court is Afoko’s continual detention not a violation of his constitutional right?
You are silent, the media is mute as if nothing is happening. GBA has not issued any statement, no human right person(s) has/have made any attempt to fight for this poor young man. Nobody from the clergy or CSO or moral society has made any comment against this culture of impunity.
10. Is the continual detention not illegal and an affront to the rule of law and a violation of the Court order?
11. Does this government care about people’s rights?
12. Are we not failing as government/state in safeguarding the rights of our citizens? I know some of you will still try to give meanings to this.
But today, it’s Gregory Afoko, tomorrow, it may be you or any of your loved ones. Note; Power is transient.
I’m concerned because as the late Martin Luther King Jnr puts it, “injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere”.
#Fact: You just don’t know when you, a friend or relation will become the next victim. Wear your voice and JOIN THE CRUSADE to demand justice and respect for the rule of law. The @GhPoliceService through the IGP and CID boss have REFUSED to release Gregory after over three (3) months since the same court that kept him in jail for over four (4) years granted him bail