The Argentina and Chelsea forward Gonzalo Higuain has confirmed that he will not be available for international selection following his continued snub
The Argentina and Chelsea forward Gonzalo Higuain has confirmed that he will not be available for international selection following his continued snub by the coach after Argentina’s World Cup failure.
The former Real Madrid, Napoli, Juventus and Ac Milan striker has since been overlooked by the new Coach Loniel Scaloni, with his recent preferred call-ups being the likes of Mauro Icardi, Lautaro Martinez, Dario Benedetto and Matias Suarez.
His last goal for the national team was in October 2016, in World Cup qualifying draw against Peru and he did not find the net throughout 2018 World Cup.
The 31-year-old has not enjoyed a good relationship with the National team in recent years, after costly mistakes in the 2014 World Cup final and 2015 Copa America deciders in their title hopes. He failed to score a single goal in his last tournament when the side was kicked out of the World Cup at the Round of 16 by France.
Gonzalo Higuain announced on Thursday that he’s had enough of those who had been criticizing his performance for Argentina.
“I think that it is over, thinking things through in-depth, my time is up,” the Chelsea striker said.
“I want to enjoy my family and my time. To the joy of many and maybe not so much for others, my time is up. You can now stop worrying about whether I am there or not.”
“We have been called failures for making three straight finals and not winning them, one of those a World Cup.
“For me failing is something else, but now let them take care of the new players, a lot of people enjoy criticising more than supporting,” he told Fox Sports.
Higuain for Argentina
31 goals (6th most)
-World cup 2010 highest goalscorer
-Highest goalscorer in 2014 world cup , 2015 & 2016 Copa KOs.
By: Fuseini Iddrisu/awakenewsonline.com